Thursday, April 24, 2008

This Is The Place

Stockton informed me that I have never been on a field trip with him before! What! I could have sworn I have been on lots of outings, but for the life of me I could not think of one. I am the worst mom ever. He is in fourth grade for heaven's sake. I am going to continue to think of a field trip I have been on, but for now I am going to remember this one. We went to the "The This Is The Place Monument." It was so much fun and very informative. I am not sure that even though I was born here I have ever been. We go to the zoo every year but I guess we just drive by the monument.

We went inside an old classroom and the lady conducted class like it would have been done in the Pioneer times. It was so cute. She had all of the kids bow and say their names as they walked in the door. She made them stand at attention when they were answering a question. Wow what a difference to how they act in a normal classroom. The children were silent the whole time she was talking. They even got to write on their own personal little chalk boards. Stockton has an adversion to the way chalk feels in his hand but he was a good sport.
They taught them to square dance just like in the olden days. Instead of watching T.V. or playing video games I am going to have Stockton do this. It was very entertaining to watch the boys and girls dance together while trying hard not to touch.
They even got to pull handcarts in the snow just so they could get the full effect.
It was such a fun day. I learned a lot of new things. One of which was just a little insight as to what the pioneers had to go through. It made me so grateful for my life and the thing I take for granted each day. It was a real eye opener. I enjoyed watching Stockton interact with his classmates. He was a good sport holding my hand and letting me kiss him all day. It was so much fun being with him I will not miss another field trip if I can help it.

5 comments:

katie said...

You are NOT a bad Mom! Atleast you are there doing it...and I don't see many other parents there!! :) So 1) how do you know Hilary..I met her thru Tricia Nield and my sis...she is hilarious and such a SPAZ! and 2) I saw that you did Cheer with Lone Peak. SO fun I bet! 3 seasons ago I was an Assistant coach for the girls BBall team at Lone Peak...It was fun but ALOT of work!

The Cliftens said...

tell my boy Stock that I miss him on IM! So are you guys still planning on coming on the 10th? Are you going to miss your second game or just come late?

Natalie said...

Nan, What a mom to go on a field trip. I can't say that I have been on one with Mitchell yet. It is so hard when you have others kids at home. You look soo great, as always. It is nice to hear that Stockton still lets you hold his hand and kiss him. Hope he keeps that up!

Raquel said...

What a fun field trip! I can't believe he is in the 4th grade! I lve the one of them all dancing!! Your such a cute mom!

SKH said...

Gotta love field trips. I love the kid with the ski goggles pushing the hand cart...What kids think to take with them. Now you can say you have been on one and your off the hook for a while :)